- Organisation: Aberdeenshire Council
- Location: Stonehaven
- Salary/Hourly Rate: £37887 – £39627
- Hours: 36.25
- Full/Part Time: Full Time
- Published: 14 February 2012
- Closing Date: 4 March 2012
- Ref. No.: ABS011860
>> An experienced team worker with a flexible attitude, you have considerable post qualification experience in Bridge Engineering with a comprehensive working knowledge of bridge inspections, maintenance and asset management planning and with an excellent working knowledge of the Management of Highway Structures Manual and associated documents.
>> Considerable experience of Civil Engineering Procedure and Contract Administration is also important. As well as having IEng registration (or equivalent), you are also a member of an appropriate body, approved by the Engineering Council. Experience in the maintenance and repair of harbour and wall structures is also desirable.
>> You will play an important role in looking after the Council’s 1396 bridges which carry the public road network throughout Aberdeenshire. Many of these bridges are of some age (128 are heritage listed) with a variety of construction materials and structural arrangements and your bridge experience will be put to good use in taking forward asset management plans linked to the latest developments in maintenance, renewal and strengthening techniques and ideas.
>> The role has direct responsibility for managing inspections, structural reviews and the resulting remedial works programme for bridges in the South Area of Aberdeenshire, stretching from the Mearns coast to Royal Deeside.
>> This is a Politically Restricted position as identified by the Local Government and Housing Act 1989. Further information on restrictions as a result of this designation is available by visiting the recruitment pages.
The majority of posts within Aberdeenshire Council fall into one of the categories as detailed on the Worksmart website - http://worksmart.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/
Certain terms and conditions of service for this post may change under proposals to implement revised provisions, which the Council is to consult and negotiate on during February 2012.
Informal Enquiries to: Donald Macpherson on 01224 665304
>> To lead a team responsible for the inspection, maintenance and asset management planning for all bridges, retaining walls and harbour infrastructure within South Aberdeenshire.
Leading, supervising and managing staff resources within the team
- Managing inspections, maintenance and upgrading of bridges, retaining walls and harbours
- Developing, implementing and monitoring annual programmes of maintenance and renewal works and revenue spend monitoring
- Developing strategy, procedures and processes for bridge asset management planning
- Undetake CDM Co-ordinator role for refurbishment and maintenance projects as required
- Compiling detailed reports to management, committees and clients
- Managing the use of survey equipment and associated IT hardware and software
- Managing structural reviews
- Considerable proven post-qualification experience in bridge maintenance, rehabilitation and strengthening
- CEng or IEng registration (or related equivalent) and membership of an appropriate body approved by the Engineering Council
- Sound knowledge and understanding of bridge asset management and maintenance processes, civil engineering procedures and administration of construction contracts
- Proven I.T. skills using Microsoft Office and specialist design packages
- Ability to write fluent and clear reports
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to keep both personal performance and that of the team to a high standard when under time and workload pressure
- Proven Project Management skills
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of the CDM Co-ordinator
- Ability to motivate and lead staff
- Proven supervisory skills
- Ability to travel within Aberdeenshire
- Knowledge of harbour infrastructure maintenance
See original article:
Principal Engineer Bridges and Harbours South