- Organisation: Comhairle nan Eilean Siar
- Location: Lewis
- Salary/Hourly Rate: £26895 – £35181
- Hours: 35
- Full/Part Time: Full Time
- Published: 11 June 2012
- Closing Date: 2 July 2012
- Ref. No.: CNS000992
The Nicolson Institute is a comprehensive S1-S6 secondary school with a school roll of 954. The school is moving to new modern, state of the art accomodation in August this year.
The successful candidate must be registered with the GTC Scotland and have mainstream teaching experience.
The candidate must have teaching experience of pupils with learning difficulties and special education needs. It is desirable to have a SEN qualification or equivalent.
- Work collaboratively with pupils with additional support needs either, in mainstream classes, individually in small groups, or in SEN class setting.
- Establish and monitor targets for pupils with individualised educational plans (IEPs).
- Liase with staff regarding programmes of work.
- Provide appropriate materials to allow pupils access a differentiated curriculum and/or elaborated curriculum.
- Regularly assess pupil�s education, social and behavioural needs and devise and implement methods of effectively meeting those needs.
- Work in a co-operative and constructive way with parents, teachers, auxiliaries and other external agencies and promote effective links between service providers.
- Play a key role in ensuring that pupils have access to a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum.
- Encourage the development of independence ensuring that pupils are supported in taking responsibility for their own learning and behaviour.
- Effectively use community resources to enhance life and social skills.
- Meet with parents to give support, advice or reinforcement; to share information, to agree targets and to seek constructive ways of reinforcing learning at home.
- Ensure high quality teaching and learning for pupils with additional support needs, giving them equal opportunity to achieve their potential.
- Contribute to the day-to-day operation of the school�s additional support needs policy; to monitor and develop the learning environment.
Learning Support Teacher, Nicolson Institute